Friday 11 February 2011

Grain free tahini and sesame cookies


























I have finished my massive essay and I finally have a break... which means lots of time for walks in the park, working on my sketchbook, flicking through magazines, and last but not least, cooking. I made these cookies today when I took the day off; I was tired and if I must be honest with you, I just did not feel like school! I have never worked so hard in my life on a computer last weekend, and I think I exhausted myself. And then I tend to eat cake because I'm tired or not in the mood for work, it's gluten, dairy and sugar free of course, but it's still cake and I never feel great after it. It's not always what you eat, but how you eat it. If you get upset by something at work/school but pretend it didn't happen and then gorge yourself on comfort food, you won't feel great afterwards! Well yeah it's tough, so sometimes you just need to give a good cry and eat a piece of cake! Anyway I don't have a recipe for cake, but I wanted to share a simple easy recipe that is a slightly less bloating/guilty treat. They remind me of halva, the sweet made from sesame seeds and honey, and they have a wonderful crunch. When I tried them I found them a little too sweet, but for a treat, savour one with a cup of hot soy milk or crumble one over soy yogurt and bananas... 


Grain free tahini and sesame cookies
Makes about 24 cookies

1 cup tahini
1 cup coconut palm sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
sesame seeds to decorate (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F
2. In a large bowl, beat together the tahini, sugar, egg, baking soda and salt to combine well.
3. Roll tablespoons of the dough into balls and dampen hands with a little water to prevent the mixture from sticking. Place the balls on an ungreased baking sheet well spaced apart (about 2 inches), and flatten to create a chunky disk. 
4. Sprinkle the surface with sesame seeds, if using.
5. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes until golden brown but still a little soft in the centre. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.


With love, 
Teenie Foodie

1 comment:

  1. What a great great idea for a cookie! These look fabulous! I want to try this recipe because we LOVE Tahini in our house! ;)
    Congratulations on finishing your essay, by the way!

    ReplyDelete