Saturday 22 January 2011

Spinach Dal



Back at school and I already have a massive biology case study, english essay and art project... so sorry about the lack of posting... At least I have done my english essay, which leaves me about 2 - 3 weeks to focus on my biology coursework, so for three weeks I may only post occasionally. Since I'm rather busy, I better give you a good recipe! Well this one is one of my favourites; its warming, satisfying and healthy too, so great for those cold cosy evenings. In the photo I put more spinach than usual, about 200g which I found was too much so about 150g is good but just feel free to experiment with how much spinach you want! 


Spinach Dal
Serves 4

200g red split lentils
800ml water
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 shallots, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil 
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 whole dried red chillies
150g young spinach 
crushed chillies (optional, to serve)


1. Wash the lentils thoroughly, drain and place in a pan with the water. Bring to the boil and immediately reduce the heat. Skim of the white froth as it forms on the surface for the next couple of minutes. Stir in the turmeric, cover and simmer gently for 15 - 20 minutes until very soft.
2. Remove the lid, season with salt (about 1/2 tsp) and simmer for a few more minutes until thick and smooth.
3. While the lentils cook, heat the oil in a small frying pan and add the chillies. Stir fry for 30 seconds then add the shallots, garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring often for 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown. Set aside.
4. Add the spinach to the lentils, stirring until wilted. Add the contents of the frying pan, stir and serve.
Sprinkle your serving liberally with the crushed chilli for added kick!

Serve on its own or with brown basmati rice, or steamed cauliflower.


With love,

Teenie Foodie

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous pictures and the daal looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE dahl. We are so, totally on the same food wavelength! Love the colors in your version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spianch dahl looks fabulous!! tasty & real food!

    ReplyDelete