Monday 27 December 2010

A welcoming tray of carob cookies to start the day.

Hi there! So lets get things started. 

First of all let me introduce myself: I call myself the teenie foodie, I'm fourteen years old and I've created this blog to share with you recipes that I create on my great adventure to create light healthy food that's gluten, dairy and refined sugar free.

Wondering why I don't eat gluten, dairy or sugar? ... Well I don't do it to because of any allergies, illness or obesity problems; it's just a choice that I've made. And the fact that these foods do harm to our body and prevent us from being bodies that are full of love and light. I have realised that these food make me feel bloated, congested etc and without these foods I don't get tired, I feel great and my natural weight is constant. Plus, it's not that hard to follow! You'd be surprised how helpful waiters are at restaurants if you ask nicely about gluten/content in the menu and these days there is such a variety of fresh produce and products on the market that cater to this kind of 'diet'. I only hope that I can inspire you to do the same and encourage you to cook more at home to produce simple healthy food.

Wait this is a recipe blog, so I better give you one! There are so many great blogs out there to find gluten/dairy/sugar free recipes, but it's difficult to find recipes that are all three, so here you are! 

I made these carob cookies this morning, they are chewy, intense and slightly sweet but not at all heavy. They make a great snack as they are high in protein from the almonds and contain no oil. I always use carob instead of chocolate/cocoa but I'm sure you could use cocoa powder here too.



Carob cookies - Gluten, dairy and refined sugar free
Makes about 14 cookies

Ingredients -
1 1/2 cups ground almonds/ almond flour
1/4 cup sifted carob powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda/ baking soda
1/4 cup raw manuka honey
1/4 cup apple puree/ sauce

Set oven to 180C/ 350F.
Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Melt honey over low heat in a small saucepan and mix into apple puree in a separate bowl.
Mix wet mixture into dry mixture.
Scoop tablespoons of the dough and drop equally spaced apart on to a sheet of baking parchment then flatten to create discs. 
Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 to 17 minutes, depending on if you like yours more chewy, or more crunchy.
Cool and then serve. 

These will stay fresh for a couple of days in an airtight container in a cupboard, but they are best eaten on the day.

Lots of love from,

The Teenie Foodie

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging, Teenie--especially gluten-free blogging with dairy free and sugar free, too. :-) Another teenage blogger, too. You guys amaze me! Love these carob cookies you've made--YUM! I'm all about using raw honey since we keep bees.

    One final note ... respectfully, I disagree a bit with your statement that you are not eating gluten free because of allergies and illness. They symptoms that you state could well be considered allergies/illness, etc. Perhaps you have not been diagnosed with any related to gluten, but you could well have them, particularly since you are experiencing such symptoms at your young age. Food for thought.

    Hugs,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow teenie!!
    You're AWESOME!!
    You have inspired me to start cooking more and that I should definitely sort my food issues out before I'm a teenager as I am only 10.
    Sara told me about your website and it looks AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete