Saturday 19 February 2011

Spicy almond and soya biscuits


I've been trying to find a grain free recipe for a biscuit that's not so chewy but more crumbly and crunchy. Well I've come close, but I'm still working on this recipe and need to refine it... my mum loved them like this, but she loves everything I make! Anyway I added cinnamon and nutmeg, but you could also add ginger, cayenne, vanilla... anything that takes your fancy!

Oh and today I went to a wonderful health food store in London called 'Planet Organic', where I managed to find some ingredients that I have been looking for and could not buy in whole foods. Firstly, coconut flour, which I have been dying to try. Secondly, coconut milk by kara, but not the normal kind. Its a coconut alternative to normal milk, that's lighter and can be drunk, poured on cereal etc... and most importantly its delicious. Finally I bought yacon syrup. I heard about it a while ago, and finally I was able to find it! It has a similar taste to molasses, which my dad adores in cookies, and it does not affect your blood sugar like normal sugar.



Spicy almond and soya biscuits - gluten, grain, dairy and refined sugar free
Makes about 10 - 12 cookies

Ingredients -
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup soya flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp raw manuka honey
2 tbsp rapeseed oil/melted coconut oil
1 tbsp soya milk

1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl. Mix wet mixture into dry mixture.
3. Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Roll dough into a ball and then shape it into a chunky sausage, with a cross-section of about 5 cm/2 inches. Cut the sausage into slices of about 1 cm thickness and place on a baking sheet.
4. Bake cookies in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown and slightly brown on the edges. Leave to cool on a wire rack then store in an airtight container in the cupboard.


With Love,
Teenie Foodie

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMMMMMMMM,..I love that you make your cookies also egg free!

    These stack of cookies look so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete