Sunday 6 March 2011

Nut and seed treats from Frisky Lemon



Being on a gluten and dairy free diet, it can be tough to find something to eat when you are on the go. Sometimes I can be out the whole day with my mum if we have lots of things to do and I like to take a snack with me in case I get hungry or I can't find something to eat. My snack staples are nakd bars which are made of nuts and dates, all cold pressed into a perfectly sized bar. These are satisfying and great to to take on the go. I recently found a great recipe on the blog 'Frisky Lemon' which is similar to a nakd bar. You basically blend nuts and seeds and smoosh it together with blended dried fruits, delicious! They make a wonderful little treat and when I want a change from my favourite nakd bar, I take one of these wrapped up in some foil. You can use whatever nuts, seeds and dried fruit you want, in fact I changed the original recipe from frisky lemon slightly and added extra spices. And have fun making them when you roll them into little balls!


Nut and seed treats - vegan, gluten, grain, refined sugar and soy free.

1/2 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup pecans
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp ground almonds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

1. Place the dried apricots in a bowl, cover with water and soak until softened. Drain and blend in a food processor or strong blender until you have a sticky paste. Set aside.
2. Place the nuts, seeds and coconut into the food processor/blender and process until they are coarsely ground/finely chopped. Mix in the oil, ground almonds and spices until all ingredients are combined well.
3. Mix the fruit paste into the nut/seed mixture until the ingredients are well combined and you have a big sticky lump. Scoop small lumps of the mixture and roll them into balls.
4. Place balls in the fridge to firm up for at least half an hour. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.


With love,
Teenie Foodie

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Teenie Foodie! I think these sound marvelous. I agree that it's always good to have a snack when you're traveling about...you just never know what will be available out there in the real world. These are just the thing for that kind of occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you like this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete