Sunday 8 May 2011

Nut and seed cookies



Hi, sorry I have not posted in a couple of weeks, but the weather has just been so wonderful in London that I can't bear to stay inside on my computer in my free time when I could go for walks in the park! Anyway I have a recipe for some cookies that I talked about earlier. These are the only cookies that don't leave me feeling too heavy but are also satisfying, as they have no flour or oil and are just nuts, seeds, coconut and spices binded together with honey and egg white. I call them cookies because of their shape and sweetness but by most people's standard they are more like a snack as they are barely sweet.

Speaking of sweet things, I've noticed something a little interesting...: My most popular posts are my sweet treats like my banana bread and also my 'replacement' foods like pancakes which get the most comments. Yet my favourite recipes like my lentil soup receive no comments! Sure, my banana bread is gluten and dairy free, but it still has that same intention attached to it to comfort and escape. I mean I'm not saying that I don't sometimes need something sweet but I find that what I'm pointing out reflects how so many people are obsessed with junk food and just looking for comfort. To me, it's not just about the ingredients, but also about the intention behind eating it. I mean I see the sweetest, creamiest, chewiest recipes on some gluten free blogs that would make me feel sick! So many people who are gluten and dairy free are just making the same foods like bread, lasagna, cake etc. except without gluten and dairy. If you want to eat that its perfectly fine and there are some really delicious gluten dairy free cake recipes out there... ;-) but I just want to get it straight that this blog is not one that's trying to replace cake, pizza, ice-cream etc, because I personally don't eat these things but I just want to make foods that are mostly naturally gluten and dairy free, nutritious and make you feel good!
... Anyway let's get on to the recipe!


Nut and seed cookies - Gluten, grain, dairy, and refined sugar free.
Makes about 20 cookies.

2 cups nuts (eg. almonds, walnuts, pecans...)
1/2 cup desiccated/shredded coconut
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 large egg white
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F and prepare a large baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Place nuts, seeds and coconut into a blender or food processor and blend until finely chopped and coarsely ground. Place mixture into a large bowl and stir in spices.
3. Place wet ingredients in a small bowl, combine slightly and add to dry mixture. Mix well until you have a big moist lump of 'dough'.
4. Scoop balls of the dough about a heaped tablespoon in size and flatten into chunky discs, then place onto the prepared baking tray.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes or until they are golden brown but still a little chewy. Leave to cool for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


With love,
Teenie Foodie

1 comment: