Monday 11 July 2011

Pea and basil soup



Finally, it's the Summer holidays! Sorry I haven't been on here in ages, I've just been so busy with exams and coursework... but now that I'm on holiday I plan to try out all sorts of recipes to share with you.

I've had this recipe for pea and basil soup for a while now and it's a regular at my home. It was given to me by a friend when I was starting out with the gluten, dairy free diet and I've just made a few little changes. I've been dying to share it with you, so I finally I took a photo of it. I've added chilli because I love it, but feel free to leave it out. With the basil, it's up to you how much you add... I add several bunches because I like it really basil-y.

Another variation of this recipe would be to leave out the onions and garlic, simmer the peas and stock and add several bunches of mint instead of basil for a refreshing summery soup.


Pea and basil soup 
Serves 6

1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
1kg peas, fresh or frozen
1l vegetable stock
1-2 bunches of basil, leaves picked and washed (alter to taste)

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan/soup pot and soften the onion and garlic (and chilli, if using) over low heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the peas and vegetable stock and simmer until cooked for about 5-7 minutes or until the peas float.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil leaves. Allow to stand and cool a little for 10-15 minutes.
4. Blend soup in a blender or with a hand blender to preferred smoothness. Season with black pepper.
5. Serve garnished with a little basil leaf.


This soup freezes well and I always have several portions of it in the freezer for a lazy sunday dinner.

With love,
Teenie Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment