Thursday 6 January 2011

Chia seed pudding




Chia seeds... chia seeds... CHIA SEEDS! Yes, I am a little excited about chia seeds. I had known about them for a while, but had never seen them in my local health food stores... when the other day I was strolling around whole foods, and right in front of my eyes were CHIA SEEDS! These things are God's gift to earth... seriously. I soaked them the other day for breakfast and my parents and I loved them. They are quite bland so you can add whatever flavours you like to them, which makes them really versatile. Most importantly these little seeds are a superfood packed with nutrition. They are high antioxidants, omega 3 essential oils, fibre and have more calcium than milk by weight. When soaked they're gelling action keeps you full for longer, and make a great start to the day as they provide lots of energy and balance blood sugar levels. Wow! That's pretty incredible, isn't it? Anyway, here's a basic recipe on how to make chia seed 'pudding', which you can eat for breakfast or as a dessert.

Chia seed pudding - serves 2 - 3

1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup almond milk/other non dairy milk

Optional additional flavours -
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
agave nectar to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and soak overnight in the refrigerator.
Serve with your choice of toppings, such as fruit, nuts or dried fruit.

I served it with blueberries, papaya, shredded coconut and toasted flaked almonds.

With love,

Teenie Foodie

2 comments:

  1. I heart chia seeds in a big way! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to heart chia seeds, but there's something about them that makes me shudder. They work quite well as an egg replacer but I can't grind them finely enough and they're a bit gritty. But you are inspiring me to have a go again...
    Pig x

    ReplyDelete