Sunday 2 January 2011

Nut cream





This nut cream recipe is a regular for my Sunday morning breakfast. Today while my mum prepared an antioxidant packed fruit salad of papaya, rasberries and blueberries, I made the nut cream. It's so simple and quick to make, but tastes delicious. I make it in my vitamix blender which is so powerful that the nut cream turns out super smooth and fluffy, but I'm sure you could use any strong blender or a food processor. It's packed with protein from the nuts and is sweetened solely by the apple.

For a more filling breakfast, follow the quantities below, but for a light breakfast dilute it with water/almond milk and drizzle over fruit. Experiment with flavours: try using some shredded coconut instead of the spices and serve with tropical fruit.

Nut cream - Vegan, dairy, gluten, soy, added sugar free

1 small apple, peeled, cored and chopped
Heaped 1/2 cup blanched whole almonds (fit as many almonds as you can!)
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until you have a thick smooth cream.
Optional: Add more water/nuts to reach desired consistency.
Serve with fresh fruit.

Keep for no more than 2 days in the fridge.

With Love,

Teenie Foodie

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful site! The nut cream looks amazing on fruit salad. I love, love, love papaya, too. Can't wait to try this!

    your new fan,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This Nut Cream looks amazing!! I have made a slightly similar one in the past using cashews, but I think I would love the taste of almonds better! YUMM!
    ;)
    Kim-Cook It Allergy Free

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks unbelievable! I'm making this right now along with a few more I just read on this blog. What a fantastic site! Only fourteen? Your parents must be amazing!

    Thank you for this wonderful blog and your creative ideas. :)

    One more fan,

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks like a great aternative to whipped cream. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete