Monday 3 January 2011

Tofu Bolognese



My family and I often make soups and stews which we freeze in portions for those lazy sunday dinners. This recipe for tofu Bolognese is one of my favourites meals. This recipe is not my original recipe, but from a gluten and dairy free cafe in Somerset called 'Love in a cup'. I tried the recipe there and loved it so much that my mum and I asked for it so that we could make it at home. You can serve it on its own or for a heartier meal, with gluten free pasta, rice or mashed potatoes. I've never actually eaten normal beef bolognese as I do not eat red meat so I have no idea if it tastes like traditional bolognese... but I can tell you that it's delicious.

Tofu Bolognese - Vegan, gluten, dairy free
Serves 4

1 block firm tofu
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 carrot, grated
1 courgette/zucchini grated
4 bay leaves
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp each dried oregano, tarragon, rosemary
Salt and pepper to season

Heat the oil in a large pan, then add the onion and garlic and saute until softened. Add bay leaves, herbs and grated vegetables. Stir through until the vegetables have softened.
In a separate bowl, crumble/mash the tofu and add this to the pan. Stir in and add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste.
Season well and simmer for 20 minutes.

With love,

Teenie Foodie

1 comment:

  1. I am really excited to try this recipe! Thank you for sharing.
    Just a quick question, how big are the cans of chopped tomatoes?
    :)

    ReplyDelete