Friday 7 January 2011

Coconut cookies with a hint of nutmeg



Today, I looked outside of my window at the grey sky and wet pavement and could not wait for Winter to be over. It can be slightly discouraging when you have things to do outside and the clouds are grey and pouring down buckets of rain... Well today I was scheduled to make some carob cookies for my dad, but instead I decided to inject a bit of Summer into my cookies with coconut and make my family's day a little sunnier. Coconut always reminds me of my Summer holidays in the caribbean where I used to watch sunsets while drinking pineapple and coconut virgin coladas,  or when the locals would climb up coconut trees to bring us fresh coconut water. Well these aren't exactly made with fresh coconut but they are similar to my carob cookies but with some shredded coconut thrown in, and a hint of ground nutmeg which reminds me of when I used to lick nutmeg off the surface of my mum's pina colada when I was younger.


Coconut cookies with a hint of nutmeg - gluten, dairy and added sugar free
Makes about 15 cookies

1 1/4 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded/dessicated coconut
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
1/4 cup apple puree/sauce
1/4 cup raw honey

1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Melt honey in a small saucepan over low heat. Combine this with the apple puree in a small bowl.
4. Mix wet mixture into dry mixture.
5. Take small balls of the dough about 1 tbsp volume and flatten into small discs. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 14 minutes until the cookies are golden. Leave to cool on the baking sheet.


What's great about these cookies, is that not only are they vegan, gluten, dairy and refined sugar free, but they also have no oil or grains! I try use as little 'sweetener' in my recipes as possible, and raw honey is great for this is it is subtly sweet and good for you too. For those with more of a sweet tooth, try adding some chopped unsweetened dried pineapple, for a kind of pina colada cookie!

With love,

Teenie Foodie

3 comments:

  1. These sound super easy and so perfect. Coconut is great any time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look lovely - coconut and nutmeg is such an intriguing combination I have to try it!

    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMM,...Your coconut cookies with nutmeg in them look like real winners! A must make!

    ReplyDelete