Tuesday 4 January 2011

Raw vegan zucchini cannelloni with piquillo peppers and nut 'ricotta'



























In the days when I still ate gluten, dairy and sugar, I used to love going to Cafe Florian (like the one in Venice) in Harrods. They have the most delicious pastries, ice cream and desserts, my favourite being the tiramisu. They also have a light lunch menu, from which I always chose the zucchini cannelloni filled with creamy cheese and served with salad and a red pepper sauce. Today I decided I would create my own zucchini cannelloni... gluten and dairy free of course. I made the cheese filling out of nuts, and instead of a pepper sauce, I tucked in slices of piquillo peppers (partly because I was lazy and I happened to have an open jar of piquillo peppers). They make an elegant and easy starter or a light lunch with salad. Have fun making them!

Raw vegan and gluten free zucchini cannelloni with piquillo peppers and nut 'ricotta'
Serves 2

For the cannelloni - 
1 large courgette/zucchini
1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
2 - 3 piquillo peppers, drained from a jar

For the nut 'ricotta' - (recipe makes more than needed, but leftovers can be kept for 1-2 day in the fridge)
1/2 cup almonds/cashews
1/2 cup pine nuts
juice of 1/2 large lemon
1/2 small yellow bell pepper, pith and seeds removed
1 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to season

1. Using a mandoline, slice the courgette lengthwise into thin strips and place on a tray. Brush both sides       with a little olive oil and leave to soften for a couple of minutes while you prepare the nut ricotta.
2. Blend all ingredients for the nut ricotta in a strong blender/food processor, adding a couple of tablespoons of water until you get a thick smooth paste. Set aside.
3. Cut each piquillo pepper in half lengthwise and again in half lengthwise to create four equal pieces per pepper. Place one piece of pepper on the bottom edge of courgette slice and drop about 1/2 tbsp of the nut ricotta on to the pepper. Carefully roll the courgette slice forward to create a roll. Repeat with the other slices of courgette. Arrange on a plate with some rocket leaves and serve.

The recipe for nut ricotta is also great to make as a dip for crudites, a spread for gluten free wraps or a topping for gluten free lasagna.

With love, 

Teenie Foodie

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so yummy and healthy! Perfect to kick the new year off the right foot. The piquillo peppers makes them look very elegant, too.

    p.s. I also used to always go for the tiramisu back in my gluten, sugar and dairy days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    Wow - I finally made it over to pay you a visit and I am welcomed by some pretty fine looking recipes. I am so impressed with your writing and your photographs - so talented for your 14 years!

    This nut ricotta is absolute genius. I have been looking for something like this for a while. Thank you for this fantastic recipe! I have the perfect thing in mind for just this :)

    xo
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete